Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Personal Note

I'd like to take a moment of your time to say "Hello" to Randi Rhodes, talk show host extraordinaire on the struggling Air America Network.

Randi and I share a wonderful set of friends, David and "LaLa." Randi occasionally mentions them on the air. She is spending the Holidays with them.

I have listened to Randi many times thanks to Internet Radio. Tragically, Air America had no outlet here in the deep interior south. There are (or were) outlets in Memphis and New Orleans.

Often outrageous and often courageous, Randi is a very important part of the political discourse in this country.

Over the last few months I have noted with troubled amusement the many conservative bloggers (including some I deeply respect and quote here) who have rejoiced at the financial woes and impending death of Air America.

It's as if somehow financial mismanagement of one company is a victory for the conservative set of ideas!

Of course nothing could be further from the truth!
Ideas, concepts and philosophies must survive and grow on their own. And liberal and progressive ideas are flourishing now more than any time in the last 30 years.

Randi is more valuable because she is "out there." She is unapologetic. She is a force in the progressive community.

I, for one, am hopeful that she survives, grows and prospers. Perhaps Air America is the wrong venture. But there is ample room for the diversity of ideas Air America represents.

Happy Holidays to David, LaLa and Randi.... and to all of you reading here from around the world. May peace fill your hearts and the new year bring you the happiness you so richly deserve.

TECHNORATI TAGS:


DIGG THIS

SAVE THIS PAGE TO del.icio.us

3 comments:

Vigilante said...

Why Wizard, you are a most surprising fellow. This message in tribute to Randi Rhodes has filled me with great joy, and admiration for you. In this season especially, as it passes, I hope you will forgive me for some of the nasty things I might have said about you or to you in the old year. If you forgive Randi for some of her excesses, then there's maybe some hope for you to have some generosity left over.

If these are the last words we will exchange this year, I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Bob Keller said...

vigilante, There is absolutely nothing to forgive.

I perhaps respect you more than any blogger out there. Your latest post is a great example and I may cross-post it later this week here on my site.

You have never offended me.

This is a marketplace of ideas. We do ourselves great harm when we dismiss, out-of hand, any set of ideas.

I know I occasionally confuse you and others, but my commitment to FREE SPEECH, the open exchange of ideas, freedom on the Internet, relief for the oppressed peoples in Darfur (and elsewhere) and my campaign for Universal Human Rights (including and especialy gay rights) doesn't ever waver.

I respect those who are bright, honest and courageous. You and Randi are both high on that list.

Merry Christmas and warmest wishes this Season.

the Wizard.......

Robin Edgar said...

Do you think that Randi Rhodes might cover my new protest in front of the Quebec Human Rights Commission? ;-)

Merry Christmas and all that Wizard!