Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Voice in the Wilderness

This is a relatively short post stating something I believe ought to be obvious. I'm going to emphasize the need for a strong, well tested and fully deployed missile defense system.

After the successful test of a multi-stage rocket by North Korea and the strong likelihood this delivery system will end up in the hands of Iran, it is absolutely certain we will need a missile defense system in the next few years. If we are not prepared to face the ultimate test from a renegade state, thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of innocent people will perish.

But I am going to digress for a few very important paragraphs before I finish this argument in favor of the continued funding of a missile defense system. I will be quoting Sarah Palin, the Governor of Alaska and former candidate for Vice President of the United States. In quoting Governor Palin I am fully endorsing her position on this issue. But I feel a stronger statement about Sarah Palin is important.

I've been reading with ever increasing disgust bordering on horror, the continuous, hateful and moronic attacks on Sarah Palin. Most are simply stupid, based on ignorance, hate, rumors, spin and outright lies about Mrs. Palin or her family. Virtually none are based on any real facts.

So I want to simply state the following. I am a huge fan of Sarah Palin. I find her to be refreshing, honest, gracious, kind, warm hearted, bright, brave and genuinely gifted. I would be proud to have her as a Governor, a Vice President or as President. And I am totally confident she would do an excellent job in any position.

I disagree with Mrs. Palin on many, many issues. I would be part of the loyal opposition on several important matters facing our country today and in the future. But, with Sarah Palin, I would be confident these matters would be weighed thoughtfully and good decisions would be reached by someone who had the best interests of our nation in her heart.

I find it tragic that many of my fellow Democrats and Liberals just cast a few clever hate filled diatribes or slander in Governor Palin's direction rather than listen to or consider her real positions or ideas. Such is the state of political debate today. If we can just call someone a name, we can dismiss all their ideas and never consider their solutions to today's most pressing problems.

So all you who suffer from the absolutely terminal disease of Palin Derangement Syndrome can just leave your snide, sarcastic or hate filled comments below and move on, confident and snug in the cocoon spun out of your willful ignorance.

The rest of you can read and consider this press release from the Governor's office. It is so well written, I need add no further comments:

April 6, 2009, Juneau, Alaska – Responding to the missile test by North Korea, Governor Sarah Palin today reaffirmed Alaska’s commitment to protecting America from rogue nation missile attacks.

“I am deeply concerned with North Korea’s development and testing program which has clear potential of impacting Alaska, a sovereign state of the United States, with a potentially nuclear armed warhead,” Governor Palin said. “I can’t emphasize enough how important it is that we continue to develop and perfect the global missile defense network. Alaska’s strategic location and the system in place here have proven invaluable in defending the nation.”

Governor Palin stressed the importance of Fort Greely and the need for continued funding for the Missile Defense Agency. The governor is firmly against U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates’ proposed $1.4 billion reduction of the Missile Defense Agency. Greely’s isolated location in Alaska as well as its strategic location in the Pacific allows for maximum security and development of the country’s only ground-based missile defense complex.

“Our early opposition to reduced funding for the Missile Defense Agency is proving to be well-founded during this turbulent time,” Governor Palin said. “I continue to support the development and implementation of a defensive missile shield based in Alaska. We are strategically placed to defend the critical assets of the United States and our allies in the Pacific Theater.”

7 comments:

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I kind of like Palin, too, Wiz. But not to the point where I could support her for president. I think that she's very unqualified and her lack of intellectual curiosity is almost scary at times. Couple that with her stances on the social issues and, yeah, it would be very hard for me to pull that lever for her. Maybe if she was running against Barney Frank or somebody like that. MAYBE!

Bob Keller said...

I'm certainly not saying I would endorse her for President, but rather I would support and work with her if she were elected President. There is a significant difference.

As to her lack of intellectual curiosity ("scary at times" ????), I've seen no evidence of this trait. In fact I've seen quite the opposite. Perhaps you could give me a concrete example (not merely a restatement of her religious beliefs).

Thanks for the thoughtful and well reasoned comment. I sure enjoy your participation here and on other blogs I frequent.

Greg said...

If anyone would take the time to listen to her State of the State address, numerouos press conferences in Alaska since the election, and even her inaugural address as governor in 2006, would come away with a totally different opinion or her. This "lack of intellectual curiosity" charge is a direct life from Kathleen Parker, and is not even based on any kind of fact.

The media have spent so much time, effort, and money bashing this woman now for going on 8 months, continuing on almost six months after the election, I believe it is wearing more than a little thin. I wish they would spend that time examining the issues instead.

Bob Keller said...

Greg, thank you so much for stopping by.

I simply couldn't agree with you more. Most political bloggers and way too many television and radio commentators spend all their time simply calling names and making lame jokes about their opponents, rather than engaging in a discussion and honestly analyzing and debating their positions or proposals.

This failing exists on both sides of the spectrum. Conservatives are hardly innocent. But two wrongs do not make a right.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I actually agree with you guys that she's been treated abysmally by the left (Olbermann makes me sick the way he treats her). I was just taken a back by the governor's performance in those interviews and, while, yes, she did appreciably better in the debate format, I never got the idea that she was ready for prime-time. Not that Obama has shown to be all that ready, either, mind you, but, I'm just saying. Oh, and, yes, the religious dogmatism troubled me, too (her belief in a literal interpretation of the Bible, etc.).

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

But like I said, I DO like her. I would definitely take her as a neighbor over 90% of her critics. That is for sure!

Unknown said...

Pres. Obama was in Europe promising a nuclear free world at the moment Kim Jong Il launches his test missile. Communist China is allies with North Korea and Iran, they are also our banker. What kind of leverage does this give against a borrow and spend bidget? "Hey Obama, if you want us to keep loaning you money, git rid of those weapon systems!"

We have Gates saying there was nothing we could do to stop NK. That surrendered any moral authority we have to stop Iran's program.

Perhaps the comparison could be drawn between Pres. Obama and Neville Chamberlain?